Monday 27 May 2013

There and back!

Last weekend I went to a weekend Stitchers Retreat.   Unfortunately the organisers were a bit sniffy about photographs so I have one only of the class in progress.  
The class I took was with an Australian tutor called Alison Snepp and was the Naxos Necessaire.   You can see a photo of the finished product on the extreme right hand side of this link.  She was an excellent tutor and considering the density of the stitching I felt I made reasonable progress.   This photo is of my almost completed fabric button.
On the final day a friend persuaded Sherelyn of Heirlooms to open her store and I got to visit.   The store is actually an old homestead and is like a museum with its antique furniture and fitments.   I secretly snapped a couple of shots as a memory,

 
 
Don't you think this avenue of ancient oaks looks like something from Anne of Green Gables?   It was beautiful and I enjoyed scuffing through the fallen leaves in the golden Autumn weather.  The friends with whom I stayed live at the end of this glorious line of oaks.   These were planted by an early settler in 1864 as the grand entrance to his home.   While the home may not have survived these oaks have although a bad storm at the beginning of the year uprooted one.

More on my trip tomorrow night when I will hopefully be able to show you my progress to date on the Necessaire.   For now it is bedtime in preparation for return to work tomorrow!

11 comments:

cucki said...

I am so excited to read your post..
Such a pretty shop ..I love it so much..
Oh yes..those oaks look like something from Anne of green gable..and you know she is my all time fav..I love her dearly..
Enjoy your class..
Big hugs x

Karen said...

This definitely could do as Anne's "The White Way of Delight" or as Mathew calls it, "The Avenue."

Can't wait to see your progress on the Necessaire!

Pamela said...

How lucky you are to spend a weekend at a stitching retreat! I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a lovely way to spend a weekend, shame about the photos though. I have only been told this once and I felt quite miffed - as you say it's lovely to have something to look back on.

kimstitch3 said...

Love your blog. Keep up the good work.Kimberly

Karoline said...

What a great way to spend a weekend, some of my friends have taken classes with Alison when she was in the UK but unfortunately I couldn't join them.

The shop looks lovely.

KimM said...

What an amazing weekend - it sounds like lots of fun ;)

Chris said...

Looks like a great class. What a nice getaway.

Annie said...

Looks like great fun at the retreat, Alison Snepp is such talented designer.
The little shop is fabulous, so many beautiful things to look at.
Enjoy your new retreat project!
hugs from
Anette & Skruttan

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Wow, that shop is gorgeous! All those lovely little balls of DMC PC, I've never seen them displayed like that - lovely :) It's so interesting to see the inside of needlework shops!

Fiona said...

Your retreat sounds like fun. Pity there were no photographs.