Wednesday 1 January 2014

A good start to a good year

Fine weather for the midnight fireworks last night and then wet weather for the garden for part of the day today.   We are off to a good start!
And on the stitching front too.   I have made enough progress on the Acorn Stitching Roll to qualify for a photo and the first side of the hardanger Stitching Pod is almost completed too.


The hardanger is stitched on 28 count cream linen in DMC Perle #8 and #12 colour 3823
And the Acorn Stitching Roll is also on 28 count linen in a vanilla colour.   I have used the specified DMC equivalents for the solid colours and Thread Gatherer 'Autumn Honey' for the variegated floss.   As I don't want "historic needlework guild" to be the lettering in the next band I will spend some time with a pencil and graph paper tonight.   Yes, I admit this is a delaying tactic as I must return to the ecru queen stitches and finish off the tudor roses in the floral band :-(
A new venture for a new year is contained in this box.

I hope to make a quilted top for our blanket box -  the current one is very old and the fabric has not stood up to the heat of the sunlight it receives.  What is more this project will use up a lot of the small cotton fabrics that currently occupy space in my stash cupboard.   I can think of a lot more interesting objects to fill that space!
Tomorrow I plan to get sewing again - the fabric is cut out ready to stitch so it shouldn't take me too long.   As I don't need to go back to work until next week I am determined to make good use of this free time but the HD3QBEM insists that she wants to go and see Judi Dench in "Philomena" with me so I may be persuaded to abandon the sewing machine.  What a luxurious feeling this is - looking forward to the free time of the next four days.  

So from a warm and summery New Zealand, the HD3QBEM and I send you all good wishes for a

Happy New Year

6 comments:

Palkó said...

Happy New Year and Best Wishes!

Zeb said...

Happy New Year :)

The hardanger looks amazing! My attempts pale in comparison XD

Bonnie said...

Happy New Year - I sure have enjoyed seeing all your wonderful stitching in 2013 and look forward to more in 2014.

Karen said...

Happy New Year! The acorn roll looks fantastic. :)

hohla said...

Happy New Year!!!

Pamela said...

Happy new year! You are off to a great start. I look forward to seeing the epp progress.